Wednesday 28 January 2009

Book lists

Through the power of the ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) I have found the Guardians list of 1,000 books you should read before you die.

I find that even in the Science Fiction and Fantasy I have read only a few of them... should I be worried, should I get the list and starting at A make sure I read them all... and quickly. Or should I just sit back and laugh that a) someone(s) made this list, b) there might actually be someone out there who has read The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides and Tobacco Road by Erskine Caldwell.

Go have a look and choosing your favourite genre work out how many you have read... I worked out that for the Science Fiction and Fantasy I have read 10% of those listed. Mind you ticking Terry Pratchett's Disk World means I have read 20 billions books and counting! and they list that as 1... WTF. Also I have read other books by authors mentioned just not the one the list has...

I could also mention that once I like an author I tend to read as MUCH of that author as I can - sometimes forgoing other (just as good if not better) ones... but I guess them's the breaks and with book prices as they are in this country I think people will go out on a limb less and less and stick with what they know and like.

Enjoy

1 comment:

Brian G Ross said...

I think I counted 30 out of the 1000 that I have read!

Pretty shockin'... ;o)